September 13, 2015

Middle School: The first week

Hi Art Spotters!

Well, summer is official over, and the new school year has begun! This year is definitely going to be new for me in many ways, because I've moved from teaching K-6th grade to teaching 7th and 8th! I'm no longer at the Elementary level.  While this fact is bittersweet in some ways (I'm sure going to miss all those tiny hugs and energy!) it is very exciting in so many others. Already after just being here at the Middle School for four days, I can say that I am SO happy with my decision to move up!

The middle school students are so independent at this age, which has allowed us to jump right in and get quite a bit accomplished in just these first four days of school.

Our first tasks of the trimester included creating a sketchbook and portfolio which will both be used very frequently.

We are focusing on The Elements of Art and the Principles of Design, which are the building blocks of Art!! If you think of them in terms of cooking, the Elements are like the ingredients, and the Principles are like the recipe. Speaking of Food and Art...here's a link to a fun video that we watched in class that combines food and art!


For our sketchbook covers, we learned all about the 7 Elements of Art. Students were asked to draw a sketch representing each of the 7 Elements. Here are a few examples of Student's finished Sketchbooks. 




Aren't they looking great? I'm really getting excited about the level of talent and enthusiasm I'm seeing already with just our Sketchbook covers. This tells me that this trimester (and year) is going to be really amazing! 

Ok, well that's all for now. Check back soon for glimpses of our first project. It's going to be a collaborative painting project that will be displayed on a very large temporary construction wall in the front of our school! (Parts of the Middle School will be under construction this year, and so we've been asked to decorate the drywall that has gone up.)

I'll see you all later! Keep spotting Art all around you!

-Miss O'Donnell


No comments:

Post a Comment